Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Writing Season

This is a hard time of the year to get any writing done. First there was Thanksgiving, now Christmas is looming only a few short days ahead with all of the family things that it entails. Many of us have family coming in. Those writers with little ones at home, while always having to deal with the trials and tribulations of balancing a job-work at home or not-and toddlers now have the festivities of the yule to contend with as well. Those with older children have them hanging around the house all day as vacation time strolls in for its long stay. What's a writer to do to cope?

Remember to give yourself time to be you. It's okay to take a few weeks off during the more hectic times, and enjoy your family and the time together. Lots of writers feel guilty if they take that time away and don't get their 'words in'.

Write in spurts. Instead of burying nose in your computer as writers are prone to do for hours and hours on end, take an hour here and there and get in some precious writing time, or, as you have a special idea, sit down and jot it down before you loose it (because we rarely remember those jems an hour later, am I right?).

Don't forget to pamper yourself a bit. When times get crazy it's even more important to remember to relax. Close the door and take a nice hot bath. Take a nap while the baby is sleeping. Say goodnight to houseguests and take an hour to read a good book before bed. Do the little things that still let you feel human even in the midst of insanity and the days will be over and gone before you know it, leaving only a nice little trail of memories in their wake.

4 comments:

krystyna said...

Hi MissWrite!
"Give yourself time to be you" - very good idea. I'll be try. There is a hard, busy time but I'm little lazy. So I'll close my eays and start to meditate that everything is done.
Best to you!

Tami P said...

Hi there Krystyna! Hey I like that idea--meditate that everything is done. If it works I owe you one heck'uva hug kiddo. It will be nice to think about though. Probably put a big ole smile on my face.

Ramanathan said...

Excellent. I have subscribed to your blog immediately. Nice to meet you MissWrite. I blog about technology.

Take care.

Tami P said...

Great to meet you too. I'll check out your blog. I need all the techno help I can get. LOL

For instance, I have to figure out this subscribe thing. It seems that's how everyone is getting their blog reading done these days. I haven't a clue yet.