Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Friday, November 11, 2005

This is more complicated than I thought. At least, it is since I can't seem to remember my password, or username even though I have it written down in my book of many passwords. I had to request an email to remind me of my secret society word for this blog this morning, and then receive an email insisting I change it to gain access. Yes, computers are wonderful things. As if we didn't have kids already in our lives to give us gray hair, we had to invent something even more exasperating.

It does make me wonder, however, why exactly folks feel the need to journal their private, inner-most feelings and put it on public display. Hell, this is the sort of thing we used to keep under lock and key, and throw a coniption fit over if someone (usually a brother/sister, or mother) got their grubby hands on. Now, we just tell EVERYONE.

I can understand a business-person, or company using blogs as a form of free advertising. Give the public a little insight, and hope to win their loyalty to a certain product... makes sense.

People with things to sell on a personal level, such as authors, or any number of people with websites they want hit on heavily... I can see the use for this blogging craze.

Even people who wish to 'give something back'. Professionals that have insight into a world that others would give their eye-teeth to figure out, graciously giving of their time, and wisdom. Some with ulterior motives of promoting themselves, or business, but many (Miss Snark for instance) who is curiously annonymous. Still, either way, all helping out in a very delightful way... I understand blogging for that.

But seriously, some of these things are little more than voyeristic explosions on screen. But, fun is fun, and I guess in this electronic age, you take it where you can get it.

Happy blogging folks!

2 comments:

Bernita said...

It seems to be the Age of Confession. Unortunately I cannot contribute.
Agree with you over the fuss about Nicole whatsherface's book over at Miss Snark's.

dhamel said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, then! (By the way, you didn't have to create a blog, you just had to register with Blogger. So face it: you wanted this!)

I've been blogging for a while now--well, since mid-2003--and I don't do confessional. I'm surprised by some of the things people display to the world.

But blogs have such great potential. I think it was Bill Peschel the other day who linked to something comparing blogs to the commonplace books of yore. Except that now the commonplace book is capable of being itself commented on by, well, just about anyone.