Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Doing the Happy Dance

I just found out yesterday that my short novella, Computer Games, has been accepted by Chippewa Publishing. I don't have a release date, yet, but I'm assuming it will be later this year, or early the next. At any rate, it feels good after my year and a half break, to finally be getting published once again.

I've heard writers say that taking any kind of 'time away' can lead to a serious break down of contacts, and opportunities. I can definately see what they mean, having come back to an almost complete void of old, broken links, dead email addy's, and drifted away friends. It's kind of amazing really. (Although I don't know what made me think I was the only human being allowed to take a break and leave the writing world behind for any length of time, lol.) Perhaps some of the old friends will return. I hope so. Some are sorely missed.

I was happy to find one of my old acquaintences still around, and we were able to strike back up with correspondence, and messaging. I did, however, feel like a fish out of water in a sea I used to be familiar with when it came to writing links, publishers and their requirements, agents, and the like. It didnt' help much that my old computer had fried away all my old urls. Upon searching, though, it would seem it wouldn't have made too much of a difference either way, as many no longer existed.

I've made new friends, which is a joy. I've found new writing resources... and a few that hadn't vanished in ether. The golden oldies are now, and were then, amongst the strongest of the lot anyway, and it's good to find them still around.

One thing that could not be wiped away, or poofed away in a puff of smoke, was my past experinece. That is where a returning writer has an advantage over someone fresh entering the world of sharks and other predators. Perhaps its why it didn't take nearly as long to get my bearings back, and new contacts made.

Perhaps... although the road is still long, and there's much distance to travel.

Blessings along your journey, wherever your path may lead you.

14 comments:

Bernita said...

Congratulations on starting out on your new journey, Tami, with good things in your backpack and a good map and a great send-off!

Tami P said...

Thanks, Bernita. You know I love your blog, and it tickles me that you visit mine as well. :)

Erik Ivan James said...

Ditto Bernita!

Shesawriter said...

Tami,

First, congratulations! Just wanted to pop over and say and thanks for paying me a visit. :-)

Tanya

Tami P said...

Thanks, Erik. Always great to have you drop by!

Tanya, welcome. The coffee's not always hot, I'm afraid, lol. I spend too much time running around to keep my own house in order at times. (True in real life too, lol)

Shesawriter said...

That's okay. That's what microwave ovens are for. :-)

Tanya

Stacia said...

Congrats on the sale to Chippewa! I have a friend who has a couple of stories with them and she says they're great to work with.

I use the Dana, btw-I saw earlier you use the Neo. I love it!

Shesawriter said...

Hey Miss Write,

When are you gonna WRITE on your blog again? LOL!

Tanya

Bernita said...

Yeah, we miss you Miss!

Tami P said...

Awww, bless you. I will have to make some time to update things here. Wow, mare stare is taking its toll on me this year. These ladies are just not interested in my time schedules, or basic human needs. They have, in fact, decided that they are going to all, collectively, hold on to these babies as long as equinely possible.


Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know I've been missed.

Shesawriter said...

Come back ... come back...

Hugs,

Tanya

Bernita said...

Everyday I come here, but Miss is still missing.
~sigh~

WagerWitch said...

You're missing in action dear.

Lady M
Ps. Hurry back from wherever you've been.

Bernita said...

Still miss you.