Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Other Side of The Desk

Hi there, I promised to write more often, and I'm trying.

On top of all the other things that I do, and love, ie: my writing, my shopping (no, not real shopping, ick, yuk, hate it--you know the manuscript kind of shopping around.), the lovely little close-knit crit group that I run, my horses, (getting ready for the next show season with them, and ready for foaling season right here soon), and my occassional, but all-too-rare cup of coffee with a friend to take a break. In addition to the things I don't like doing, ie: my three-day-a-week job (hopefully not much longer, but hey, at least I get quite a bit of writing done there in the down times), and housework (ick, yuk, hate it, but can't avoid it like I can actual real-shopping). On top of all that, I tested for, and was recently offered a position as editor at a really nice, well-respected, VERY busy e-pub.

I accepted that position, and spent the first week doing their training. I was then assigned two authors of my very own. (Sounds like a new pet doesn't it? Kind of is like that, only better, I don't have to feed them. LOL) My list has grown to four now, and maybe another here real soon, so I'm really quite busy.

The point here is, wow, it's one thing to know from experience what it's like working with an editor from a writer's side. To understand how much work they put in to your work. It's REALLY another thing to know just how much there is involved in actually being an editor.

For each book accepted, and contracted, there is a complicated process that needs to be coordinated and kept on track time-wise, from contracting the cover art, and the edits, to getting the final proof and signing off on the galley means keeping several people all with various projects (including the author) all on the same track going the same speed. Multiply that by however many authors the editor is dealing with and it can be an interesting struggle to keep them all from colliding.

Before the contracts though, there is another, very serious, very demanding, and very difficult process. All writer's know about it, dread it, and complain about the various editor's abilty for doing it--yep, reading the slush pile.

There are some that just make your day. They're the easy ones. They come in two varieties. The ones that rock your boat until you capsize, and the ones that don't move the water at all. Very easy 'yes', or 'no'.

Then there is a third variety. The ones that give you a migraine right at the base of your skull. The kind of headache that moves up slowly until it sits directly behind your eyes and threatens to make them explode. The story that should rock your boat. The story you WANT to rock your world... but it only shakes the hull a bit, and the ground beneath your feet doesn't quite quiver. Those are the hardest ones to say no to.

A friend recently asked me how I decide in that case. When I answered her she said she'd heard that many times before in other forums, letters, etc. It's true though. At that point you consider the story, and what you consider its flaws, and how much you really love it vs. how much work it will take to make it a world rocker.

It's also true that it's all a matter of opinion. I swear to you though, I (and I know others too) really do read with an open mind. I know it's been said a million times, but it too is true: It's not personal. I don't even pay attention to the names on top of the submission. It could be J.K. Rowlings I'm turning down for all I know... at least until I get to the Dear Ms. Rowlings, part, then I think I'd take notice. Maybe... just maybe at that time I'd reconsider.

LMAO... then again, probably not.

My best to you all... and remember, it's hard being a writer, it's a tough competitive world out there... but it's tough on the other side of the desk too, and we're really not 'out to get you', and 'we don't hate you', contrary to that, we WANT you to be the best, and your story to be a world rocker... it's what we dream of as we open the pages.

4 comments:

Erik Ivan James said...

Thank you for sharing these comments. They will mean a lot to me as I go forward.

As an aside. I had a quarter horse farm when I lived on the east coast. Not a very big farm, but I had a good stud, a few good mares and a couple of just good ole riders. The show season can play hell with your extra time though which, I'm sure you struggle with.

Tami P said...

It sure can, as can foaling season. Heck I LIVE in the barn during those times. But, I have my trusty NEO to take with me now, so my writing, at least, will not suffer. I guess I'll have to print out all my editing work and take it out with me. I STILL haven't gotten a camera system that will make it into the house. (Our barn itself is metal, and it thwarts most systems that are air sent, and it's a over 500 ft from the house which thwarts most non-air sent systems.) We spent a large fortune putting up that barn--I sure wish we had known the horrors of metal and cameras at the time, we could have 'possibly' made a different arrangement for that.

Anyway, lol, yes, it is a real juggle with time during the spring/summer... makes life interesting though, don't ya know. :)

Erik Ivan James said...

Is there such a product that might work as a relay system for you? For example: hardwire from barn to some kind of receiver in a small wood shed nearby then air send to house from shed.

Tami P said...

That's an interesting thought. I'll have to suggest that to my hubby. Truthfully, there's no way in h@ll I could pull it off on my own. I have many talents... electronics isn't one of them. LOL Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll let you know if he figures something out. Sure would be nice to do mare stare from my office instead of from the barn's office. (burrrrrrrrrr)