Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Past, Present and Future Technology

My current computer is a Hewett-Packard. I like hp laptops, they're sleek, comfortable for my wrists, and have a lot of great features. What really gets me sometimes is how far we've come in the last 30 years with computers. I remember my first work computer 20 years ago. That was before anyone had home computers. The initials PC meant something other than personal computer, and at work, our desktop terminals were connected by vast networks of wiring to a huge mainframe, usually located deep in the bowels of the building. The computer room where I worked was a 200 by 80 room that was always super cold. There's a lot to that keeping computers cold, I still find my laptop heating up and shutting down on me occasionally if I am not careful, but I don't know of anyone who keeps their home computer at 60 degrees or whatever it always was in there. Then home computers hit the scene. They were basically glorified calculator/word processors that required a lot of complicated knowledge of DOS language. It was a foreign environment for most of us, and there wasn't any connection. Then the Internet... that changed everything. Not all at once, but slowly until now, technology got smaller and smaller until room sized computers can now be carried around in a briefcase, and the functions far surpass any massive CPU. In 30 more years, I can't even imagine what we'll have. Unless of course we have hit "the wall" as it pertains to technology and all we'll do now is continue with what we have, but keep making it smaller and smaller until computers fit in the palm of your hand. Oops, done that.