Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned swimming:
Pace:
Weight:
Time:
Powered by Everyday Health.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Joke Of The Day That Is Sadly Appropriate

This Joke From Funny Jokes is really funny. I read it this morning on my Igoogle page and had to share, I'll tell why after:

Old Man - Aging Jokes
“I’ve sure gotten old,” said Maury the Snitch. “I’ve had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees.

I fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I’m half blind, can’t hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts.

I have bouts with dementia, such poor circulation that I can hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.

Sheesh, I can’t even remember if I’m 26, or 62, or 86!
Plus, I’ve lost all my friends….

But thank God, I still have my driver’s license!”


See, funny. Now here's why it is sadly appropriate. My mother-in-law is living with us, and fighting cancer. She's going through chemotherapy. That's not funny, it's very debilitating at her age. At 77 even before the cancer treatments she was taking fistfulls of pills twice a day, and had all the other ailments listed above, but she still had her driver's license. Now, she's really upset because her license is up for renewal (although she hasn't been able to drive in weeks, even at the beginning of the treatments she was driving for awhile-scary right?) anyway, she's way too weak, and dimentia is 100 times worse, but she's upset she won't be able to get her license. OH man. I realise it must be hard to lose your independance, but common sense and reason have to sneak in there somewhere. I'm sorry to say I'm grateful she isn't going to be able to get her license again. She's not alone. She's not trapped. She has family who love her and will take her where she needs to go. Yes, that is a hard thing to swallow for an independant person who is used to being able to go where they want when they want, but it isn't like she won't have transportation.

1 comment:

music notes said...

I sure as hell would be more worried about just being alive than driving, then again though i live in Atlanta where we have the worst traffic in the US now i gladly have cut my trips shorter. I hope your mom-in-law knows that life with family far exceeds that tiny plastic in your bilfold.